Don Francisco Granadinos and his wife Doña Dolores Gómez leave their address, and some other properties, to the Salesian Congregation on November 11, 1938. Will endorsed by his niece, universal heiress, Mrs. Dolores Madrid, in 1939 This Granadinos Foundation is created with the purpose of being a house of rest, healing, hospitality and care for the elderly members of the Congregation founded by Saint John Bosco.
In the middle of the 19th century, Ronda is the capital of the Serranía of its own name. Trade with all the peoples of the region and, above all, with the Campo de Gibraltar transform it into a rich and prosperous city; very representative of the Spanish bourgeois society of the moment. Its climatic qualities, especially in summer, make it the summer resort of the nobility and wealthy classes of Baja Andalucía.
The house-palace of the Granadinos was always one of the most symbolic buildings of the nobiliary zone of the City. Its architecture, with a great Moorish influence on its character like most of the rondeñas houses, had on its façade a large balcony over the main door and small windows or mullioned windows in their higher floors asymmetrically. The entrance door, surmounted by the family’s stone shield, led to a hallway where a large square courtyard was used, with large carpanel arches on Tuscan columns, as a distributor to the main rooms of the house, open to a large gallery in wood. In all the ground floor of the property a large cistern to remedy the eternal lack of drinking water in our city.
At the beginning of the 20th century, “Modernism” came to Ronda in the hands of a great architect from Ronda, from a Genoese father, Santiago Sanguinetti Gómez. The Granadinos family commissioned him to remodel his home but without breaking completely with the basic elements of the original building. The vestibule and the patio (although it is covered with a large skylight in the ceiling) are kept, around which the rooms are distributed and the façade is given a certain symmetry. It is provided with an exuberant decoration with floral and vegetal motifs, -such example in iron are the entrance doors and the exit to the garden. The polychromy, with a great explosion of colors, is represented in the baseboards, tiled benches and planters. A very representative palace of this Ronda style where the Mudejar, neo-Gothic and classicist elements are mixed showing the history of the Ronda architecture in the last centuries.
The house has retained a very important family heritage which highlights: a splendid Castilian furniture in walnut wood of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries (known as Ronda furniture); tapestries of the Royal Factory with pastoral motifs, from the 19th century; collection of paintings by the prestigious Salesian Don Salvador Rosé; set of thirty nine unique pieces with bullfighting motifs of the famous ceramist “Pedro Mercedes”.
But what obliges to visit the house are its gardens and, above all, its odd location. They are built on the edge of the cliff, in front of the Puente Nuevo and the Parador de Turismo; next to the old flour mills and with the Sierra de Grazalema in front. Under its feet, winding, the Guadalevín River by all the pot of the Mills.
It is to have the Tajo de Ronda in your hands, it is an unforgettable place!